Intro to Computer Programming
With the increase in computer usability, writing your own programs is easier than ever! This class opens up the world of Java, a computer language that can be written and executed on any computer. By the end of this class, developing programs, from simple games to data entry tools, will be possible.
- Introduction to the coding environment. Description of what Java is and why it is useful. Define basic terminology and concepts of the language. Start writing code by manipulating Strings(text) and int’s (numbers). Show how to display information on the screen. Introduce the usage of variables and the interplay of methods within a class.
- Writing a class with a coherent and readable structure. Introduce mathematical operations. Introduce conditional statements and loops.
- Creating multiple classes. Introduce constructors and the interplay between classes. Application problem: create a program to solve a specific problem or request.
- Introduction to gathering user input. Advanced loops and data storage (arrays)
- Introduction to graphical user interfaces.
- Application problem: create a program to solve a specific problem or request.
Follow on ideas
- Importing other libraries
- Using package declarations
- Parallel computing
- Advanced data storage
- Using MySQL (database)