This quick lesson plan provides an easy way to integrate iGet Math: Base 10 in a preschool or Kindergarten classroom. Download the app, give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. With your feedback, we can continue to improve upon our homework and classroom tools.
Lesson Plan: Exploring Ten with iGet Math: Base 10
Created by Annie Graham
Get a printable version here: Quick Lesson Plan – Exploring Ten with iGet Math: Base 10
Duration: 20-30 minutes
Primary Common Core Standard: CCSS.Math.Content.K.OA.A.4
Grade: This lesson is a great introduction to addition for young learners. It is best suited for Kindergarteners who are learning how to write numbers.
Materials and Setup:
- Download iGet Math: Base 10 from the app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iget-math-base10/id824021388?ls=1&mt=8 There should be at least one iPad per every 4 students.
- Download and print one worksheet for each student: Make 10 Coloring Sheet – Castle and Balloon Dog
- Allow each student to choose two crayons of different colors.
- Open the iGet Math: Base 10 app and make sure that “Make 10” is selected from the skills menu.
- Press the green play button and give students some time to explore the Make 10 level. Students can move the blocks from side to side and change the equation. They can count the blocks and they can touch the different parts of the equation to hear them read aloud.
- Ask students to color the animals on their worksheet using the two crayons. Some animals should be one color and some should be the other color. Students may also color the background with additional crayons.
- Now, have students cut out their animals and glue them on the background.
- Ask students to use the iGet Math: Base 10 app to make the same equation that they have made on their worksheet.
- Have students count the blocks on each side of the equation and touch the numbers to have the equation read aloud.
- Ask students to write the numbers in the correct spot on their worksheets.
Assessment: Worksheet can be assessed for student understanding.
Extension: Students who complete their work quickly can explore the 12 quests available on the Make 10 level. No reading is required, so students can do this independently.